What is HypnoBirthing®?
HypnoBirthing® is a complete childbirth education programme that teaches simple but effective self-hypnosis, relaxation and breathing techniques for labour & birth. The programme is designed to empower women to give birth to their babies in a calmer, more comfortable way by teaching them to access their own inner resources and natural painkillers.
Established by Marie Mongan, founder of the HypnoBirthing® Institute, the programme originated in the United States almost twenty years ago. It is now taught in over twenty countries worldwide and has been used by many thousands of parents including celebrity mums Jessica Alba, Nadia Sawalha, Giselle Bundchen and Beverley Turner (TV presenter & wife of James Cracknell, Olympic rower)
The technique is taking the birthing world by storm and has generated huge interest amongst birth professionals. Many midwives (including myself!) have trained as practitioners because they have witnessed the effectiveness of the techniques in practice. There is currently a large research study being conducted in Lancashire, England, examining the effectiveness of the technique in NHS labour wards, with the results expected in 2013.
Advantages of HypnoBirthing®
- Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and pain
- Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs
- Shortens the 1st stage of labour
- Reduces the need for episiotomy
- Reduces stress in the mother keeping the baby well oxygenated during labour and birth
- Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birth process
- Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a calmer, more gentle birth